Friday, July 20, 2012

Dandelion Driveway

When I was little I loved flowers. I picked bouquets for my Grandma and each flower that I picked had some particular detail that made it special. I liked buttercups when I was four, with their perfect curves and shiny petals. When I was seven I liked pansies. My Grandma had told me that a fairy empress might be in the center of a pansy. With every pansy that I encountered I could not help but imagine the empress, lost in the billowing pillows of her throne. When I was nine my favourite flower of all was the dandelion. I obsessively blew on every dandelion seed head that I could find. I was delighted when the back lawn was speckled with these sunny weeds and I waited nervously, hoping that I would get to liberate their fluffy heads before the ocean wind destroyed them. I never made a wish, I imagined thousands, a lifetime of wishes, secretly carried on the wind to some safe place where they would stay until I needed them.

A few times each summer, in the interest of keeping any grass to speak of on our lawn, my father would pull up all the weeds at the roots, including and especially, the dandelions. My heart broke. Of course the dandelions came back before anyone was even sure that they were really gone and I would start my work with renewed vigor. Then one day when I was twelve I saw one tiny dandelion poking its merry head up through the angel stone in the driveway. I was so excited for this victorious little weed! From then on, when I watered the potted plants on our steps with the garden hose, I made sure a sprinkle or two went astray over the driveway. When I blew on the dandelion heads I made sure not to forget the driveway and I would roll the stones with my shoe to make sure that the seeds met earth.I am thirty five now and I still smile when my father tells me over the phone that he can't stop the dandelions from growing.

2 comments:

Kiss said...

Kerry, this is Kiss from CC. I've just read this and was very touched by it. Your writing skills are awesome! I love the way you have described it all. Beautiful to read. It's so nice to see someone who appreciates wild flowers. And what a wonderful imagination you have!

Kerry said...

Thank you so much, Kiss.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.